Grace and grit Posted in: News (Continued from Sept. 6 edition of the Elgin Courier)Early meetings were held in the homes of members and then meetings were held in a downtown rented room. Soon a home was bought next to the fire station and made into a club house. In 1949 a barracks from Camp Swift was moved to a large lot on Lexington Road and remodeled into a club house. This building was used for meetings, family reunions, church services and wedding receptions until the club dissolved in 1997. Proceeds from the sale of the property resulted in large donations to Elgin service organizations, including ...PLEASE LOG IN FOR PREMIUM CONTENT. Our website requires visitors to log in to view the best local news. Not yet a subscriber? Subscribe today!