The Jefferson Davis Highway Marker located at Main and Taylor Road (known as Jefferson Davis Park) has sat quietly often unnoticed since 1937. History is documented and unchanged. Yet some would seem to want to change appearances of history by removing such markers.
The marker was placed by William Owens Chapter UDC (United Daughters of the Confederacy). The chapter was named to honor longtime Elgin resident William Owens, a Confederate veteran. Owens, his wife Mary Carter, and their families made Elgin their lifetime home. They were buried in Elgin City Cemetery. The marker has a connection to the city of Elgin.
For 82 years this marker has been allowed to rest on land owned by the Texas Department of Transportation. TxDOT allowed the Texas Division of United Daughters of the Confederacy to place the marker on their land. There is no objection to the marker remaining in place.
The marker continues to exhibit a connection to the city. Members of the community check on it weekly. It is appropriate for this marker to remain where it has been for 82 years.
Round Rock, Texas