The Yegua Creek Evangelical Free Church congregation voted unanimously to change the church name to Type Church on March 8.
“Yegua Creek” showed history, not location. The first congregation led by Pastor Mark Nygard met in the Lawhon Springs School for three years starting in December 1984. That location was close to the Yegua Creek.
In December 1987, the Yegua Creek EFC set up their church on the other side of the Type Cemetery from where the original 1908 Type Free Mission Church had stood. The earlier Type congregation, mostly Swedish descendants, had joined with the Kimbro Free Church to form the Elgin Free Church in 1954, leaving the location next to the cemetery without a house of worship.
After the vote, the church name matches not only the cemetery name, but that of the community. It has been Type ever since the community had a post office named Type in 1902. Before that, the community was called Post Oak Island for an isolated grove of post oak trees at the edge of the prairie.
The address of the church is 1200 County Road 466. The church is in Williamson County, east of Coupland, but has an Elgin address. GPS coordinates are latitude: 30.43580; longitude: -97.33129.
The first sanctuary of the Yegua Creek congregation was in a Camp Swift barracks. A new 300-seat sanctuary was dedicated in 1996. It was built with the volunteer help of the retired Texas Baptist Men, average age 71.
These church builders parked their RVs in the church parking lot during the time they were working on the building.
Pastor Terry Kennedy and his wife Rachel serve the Type Church. They and the congregation heartily welcome everyone to join them.
Because of the coronavirus, Pastor Terry Kennedy is preaching online as long as the virus lasts. The sermons can be accessed on Facebook Live at https://www. facebook.com/type. church.1.
Friend the page and join the Type Church in worship. For more information, call Pastor Kennedy at 512-599-7761 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.