This week’s spotlight features three seniors who definitely are enjoying their last year in high school. Please meet Elijah Tijerina, Luke Vizcarra and Evan Joseph.
As seniors, what plans do you have for after graduation?
- Elijah: I plan on going to college and majoring in forensic science. I also hope to play golf for whatever school I go to.
- Luke: My major is undecided but I hope to play baseball at whatever college I attend.
- Evan: I signed at Howard Payne University to play golf and I will major in criminal justice.
What would you consider your game’s strong point and weak area?
- Elijah: I am strong off the tee, but I need work on my short game.
- Luke: I also am strong off the tee and my putting is my weak area.
- Evan: Long irons and putting are my best part of my game and I need to improve my game from about 120 yards in to the green.
Do you have a nickname that others call you?
- Elijah: My coach started calling me Vato, I don’t really know why but it has stuck.
- Luke: My dad nicknamed me Luke Jeter, after Derek Jeter. He wants me to try to be as good as Derek Jeter was in baseball.
- Evan: Everyone calls me EJO – for Evan Joseph, of course.
If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- Elijah: Definitely my height. I am tired of being short.
- Luke: My weight. I am too skinny and I would like to add some weight and muscle.
- Evan: I wish I was taller, so height, I guess.
If you could have one super power, what would you choose?
- Elijah: I would choose to be able to fly. I hate to wait, and if I could fly, I could just go wherever I wanted to whenever I wanted to.
- Luke: I would like to be invisible. I could be wherever I wanted to be and no one would ever know I was there.
- Evan: I would like the ability to go back in time, so I could do everything right the first time.
What is your favorite subject in school?
- Elijah: I like all my science classes. I love learning new things about chemicals and similar things.
- Luke: I like my forensic science class the best. I get to learn all kinds of interesting things like fingerprinting and stuff.
- Evan: I like my math classes the best because I am more of a numbers person than anything else.
Tell me about your favorite food.
- Elijah: My favorite is beef tamales, especially like my grandma used to make.
- Luke: Breakfast tacos are my favorite, with eggs, potatoes, bacon and cheese. My grandma makes them the best.
- Evan: I love spaghetti the way my grandma makes it. I basically love all Italian food.
What is a family tradition you always look forward to?
- Elijah: I love Christmas because all the family get together at my grandma and grandpa’s house.
- Luke: I love Sundays because we all go eat at my grandma’s house. I love when we are all together there.
- Evan: Every summer, my whole family gets together at Port Aransas and it is a great time we all look forward to.
If you had a warning label, what would it say?
- Elijah: Mine would say: “can be a little annoying.” I have a tendency to talk too much.
- Evan: That’s easy. It would be: “don’t talk to me until I have fully woken up and eaten something!”